Warning: include(includes/skyscraper_output.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/summitsofmylife.com/web/_BLOG/wp-content/plugins/sociable/sociable.php on line 40 Warning: include(includes/skyscraper_output.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/summitsofmylife.com/web/_BLOG/wp-content/plugins/sociable/sociable.php on line 40 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'includes/skyscraper_output.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/home/sys/phpfarm/inst/php53/pear/php/') in /usr/home/summitsofmylife.com/web/_BLOG/wp-content/plugins/sociable/sociable.php on line 40 Summits of My Life Blog » de Killian Jornet

Kilian Jornet summits Everest twice in one week without supplemental oxygen


Kilian Jornet climbed in a single push the north face of Mount Everest (8.848m) for the second time in a week. For this he did not use oxygen nor fixed ropes. Jornet had already reached the summit on 22nd May but stomach cramps had prevented him from completing the route as planned. He said: “I’m so happy to have made the summit again! Today I felt good although it was really windy so it was hard to move fast. I think summiting Everest twice in one week without oxygen opens up a new realm of possibilities in alpinism and I’m really happy to have done it”

One week, two summits

Jornet reached the summit via the North Face of Everest on 27th May at 9pm (+5.45GMT). He left Advanced Base Camp at 6500m. He climbed to the summit on the ‘normal’ route passing the three high altitude camps used by climbers attempting the world’s highest mountain, a climb which takes on average four days.

The climb to the summit was slow but continuous. The wind was the main obstacle Jornet had to overcome, on an extremely windy Himalayan day. Weather conditions improved throughout the night in the latter part of the route and he returned to Advanced Base Camp 29 hours 30 minutes after leaving.

With this ascent Jornet repeats the feat of reaching the world’s highest point after having climbed to the summit six days previously. On the previous climb he reached the summit in 26 hours, leaving from Base Camp at Rongbuk monastery at 5100m. The climb had begun well but he was hampered by stomach problems from 7500m, which slowed him down considerably and forced him to make repeated stops. Returning to Base Camp Jornet explained that: I didn’t feel great and was moving very slowly. I had to stop every few metres with cramps and vomiting. But I felt ok with the altitude and decided to continue. When I got back down I thought I would like to try another attempt if I felt well enough.

The two ascents are part of the Summits of My Life project, in which Jornet has travelled to some of the most emblematic mountains across the globe setting records for fastest known ascents. He began in the Mont Blanc range in 2012 and has since climbed in Europe (Mont Blanc & Matterhorn), in North America (Denali) and in South America (Aconcagua).

Jornet has been accompanied on this Everest expedition by Sébastien Montaz-Rosset, mountain guide and cameraman.

Jornet is currently resting in Everest Base Camp before returning to Europe.

Accumulated route times

Everest Advanced Base Camp (6.500m)-Summit (8.848m): 17h

Summit (8.848m) – Everest Advanced Base Camp (6.500m): 28h30


Kilian Jornet summited Mount Everest twice in a week without using supplemental oxygen.


Kilian Jornet summited Mount Everest twice in a week without using supplemental oxygen. For this ascent, Kilian Jornet left on May 27th from Advanced Base Camp (6.500m) and it took him 17 hours to the summit in a very windy day. From there, he returned to the Advanced Base Camp where he is resting with Seb Montaz. More info soon.

Kilian Jornet repite cima en el Everest dos veces en una semana sin usar oxígeno artificial. Para este ascenso, Kilian Jornet salió el 27 de mayo del Campo Base Avanzado (6.500m) e hizo cumbre en 17 horas en un día con mucho viento. Desde allí, volvió al Campo Base Avanzado donde está descansando con Seb Montaz. Más información pronto.

Picture: Kilian Jornet, back in the Advanced Base Camp

Kilian Jornet’s Ascent of Everest

Alone, in a single climb and without oxygen or fixed ropes, Jornet has reached the summit of the world’s highest mountain (8,848 m)

The climb, which forms part of the Summits of My Life project, sets a new « Fastest Known Time » of 26 hours from the Everest Base Camo (5,100 m) to the summit at 8,848 m

Due to stomach problems Jornet didn’t complete the descent to the Everest Base Camp and is currently recovering at the Advanced Base Camp (6,400 m)

« Up to 7,700m I felt really good and was making progress as planned but then I started to feel unwell, probably from stomach virus. From then on I made slow progress and had to keep stopping to recover. I finally reached the summit at midnight », Jornet said.

Barcelona, 22/05/2017 – Kilian Jornet reached the summit of Everest at midnight local time on May 21-22 and did so in a single climb without oxygen or fixed ropes. With this ascent, Kilian Jornet has established a new « Fastest Known Time » (FKT), which is to say, a new speed record. He completed the climb in 26h from Everest Base Camp at the ancient Rombuk monastery (5,100m) to the summit at 8,848m.

He reached the summit of the world’s highest mountain (8,848m) via the traditional route up the north face. Kilian Jornet began the challenge at Everest Base Camp (5,100m) on May 20 at 22h local time (+5: 45 GMT).

At 12h15 local time he was back at the Everest Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) where he confirmed reaching the summit at midnight, 26 hours after beginning the ascent. In general, expeditions take four days to reach the summit from the Advanced Base Camp.

38 hours after beginning the challenge and having returned to the Advanced Base Camp, he said:  « Up to 7,700m I felt really good and was making progress as planned but then I started to feel unwell, probably from a stomach virus. From then on I made slow progress and had to keep stopping to recover. I finally reached the summit at midnight.”  

Given his indisposition, Jornet decided to end the attempt at the Advanced Base Camp instead of descending to the Base Camp, located near the ancient monastery of Rombuk, as he’d initially intended.  

The climb forms part of the Summits of My Life project which since 2012 has seen Jornet travel around the world to try to establish records on the planet’s most iconic mountains.  He began with Mont Blanc in 2012 y and since then has scaled mountains in Europe (Mont Blanc and Cervino), North America  (Denali) and South America (Aconcagua).

During the Everest challenge Jornet was accompanied by the expedition’s mountain guide and video cameraman  Sébastien Montaz-Rosset.

Summit of Everest in 26h

The meteorologists forecast a window of good weather on May 20-21. Jornet decided to make May 20 the day to begin the challenge and left the Base Camp at 5,100m by the ancient monastery of Rombuk.

The aim was to get to the summit in a single climb, without oxygen or fixed ropes and with minimal equipment. Finally, after reviewing the conditions for the different routes, he opted for the traditional one.

Kilian Jornet set off at 10pm local time (+5: 45 GMT). Ahead of him lay 15.2km of glacial moraine  before he arrived at the Advanced Base Camp (ABC) at 6,400m. This part of the climb took 4h35  and he arrived at ABC at 2:35am. He rested for two hours before continuing.

« It’s important to be fresh when you reach 8,000m if you want to reach the summit. I knew that in the first stage I had to conserve energy for the final stretch,” he explained. Jornet left some of the technical equipment at the ABC and set off for the most technical part of the climb at 4:30am.

Leaving the ABC, he climbed to cross Field 1 at  7,000m. It was 6:30am and he’d been on the move for 8 hours. From there he climbed to Field 2, between 7,600m and 7,800m where Seb Montaz was waiting for him and who would film him during the ascent and then return to Advanced Base Camp to report on the situation.

Meanwhile, Jornet continued to climb. At around 7,500m he started to feel weak and had a bad stomach ache. As a result, he decided to rest for 15 minutes in Field 3 (8,300m). “I didn’t feel well and I was making slow progress. I had to stop every few metres and I had cramps and was vomiting. In spite of everything, I felt all right at altitude and decided to continue.”

From there, Jornet climbed the highest section and arrived at the summit at midnight, 26 hours after setting off. It was a clear night, without clouds or wind.  « Reaching the summit of Everest without fixed ropes isn’t something you’d do every day! I saw a fantastic sunset and finally reached the summit at midnight. I was alone but I saw the lights of expeditions setting off on their ascent both on the north and south faces. I started to descend right away so as to get to the ABC as soon as possible,” he said.

However, he rested again in Field 3 before beginning the final part of the descent and arrived at the ABC at 12h15 local time, 38 hours after he began. As he felt unwell, he decided to end the attempt at the Advanced Base Camp rather than descend to Base Camp, near the ancient monastery of Rombuk, as he’d originally intended.

The video cameraman Seb Montaz had followed Kilian Jornet during some of the challenge. Montaz left Advanced Base Camp at 3h20am and climbed to 7,500m to wait for him and film his ascent through the high fields of Everest. Montaz would then climb to 8,020m to film.  From there he descended to the Advanced Base Camp to wait for Jornet, climbing up to 7,000m to meet him. It was another handful of hours on the mountain for this guide turned cameraman. Jornet and Montaz are currently at the Advanced Base Camp recovering from this titanic effort.  

Everest, the second attempt

in September 2016 Kilian Jornet made his first attempt on the world’s highest mountain. In spite of being in good physical shape and well acclimatised they couldn’t attempt a climb because of adverse weather conditions. This time around they changed seasons and travelled in spring. Weather conditions have been quite favourable, allowing them to acclimatise and prepare for the challenge.

Rapid acclimatisation to be more efficient

Before Everest, Kilian Jornet had spent two weeks on another 8,000m mountain, Cho Oyu (8,200m). The aim was to be well prepared for Everest and also to try out a new type of acclimatisation, as he explained: « In four weeks we have reached two 8,000m summits so it seems our acclimatisation has worked.  We had been training in hypoxia for a few weeks before and we went to acclimatise in the Alps before coming here. It seems that this type of express acclimatisation works and the body tires less and as a result we’re stronger when it comes to the challenge.”

Kilian Jornet arrived at Everest Base Camp (5,100m) on May 10. He chose the mountain’s north face, which is not the usual one. The day after he arrived Jornet climbed to the ABC (6,400m) to continue his acclimatisation and on the 11th climbed to 7,600m. When he returned once more to the ABC he said: « I felt good, I had a good feeling at altitude. I believe our acclimatisation is going well,”  

Sunday May 14 was a day of rest before beginning on the 15th the last big training day. Leaving the ABC, Kilian ascended and descended from 6,400m to 8,400m in a little over 9 hours. The aim was, on the one hand, to acclimatise, but also to see what state the ground was in. As he climbed he quickly realised that it would not be possible to make the ascent via the Norton or Holbeirn corridors as he’d originally intended. There was too much ice and it was too dangerous. On May 17 Kilian Jornet returned to Base Camp to rest, having completed the period of acclimatisation. All he had to do was wait for a window of good weather before attempting to reach the summit.

Accumulated time

Everest Base Camp (5,100m) – Everest Advanced Base Camp (6,400m): 4h35

2h rest at Everest Advanced Base Camp

Everest Advanced Base Camp (6,400m) – Summit (8,848m): 26h (15’ rest in Field Campo 3 on the way up and 1 hour on the way down)

Summit (8,848m) – Everest Advanced Base Camp (6,500m): 38h

Everest Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) – Everest Base Camp (5,100m)

Kilian Jornet reaches the summit of Everest


Kilian Jornet reached the summit of Everest at midnight of 21st to 22nd May (local time) in a single climb without the help of oxygen or fixed ropes.

He reached the summit via the north face of the world’s highest mountain (8,848m) following the traditional route. Kilian Jornet began the challenge at Everest Base Camp Base near the ancient Rombuk monastery  (5,100m) on May 20 at  22h local time (+5:45 GMT).

At 12h15 local time of May 22nd he is back in the Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) where he confirmed summiting Everest at midnight, 26 hours after beginning the ascent.

38 hours after starting the temptative, he has arrived to the Advanced Base Camp of Everest, he explained: “Until I reached 7.700m I felt good and was going according to my planning, but there I started to feel stomach ache, I guess due to an stomach virus. From there I have moved slowly and stopping every few steps to recover. However, I made it to the summit at midnight”.

Due to this indisposition, Kilian Jornet choses to conclude the attempt, and stay in the Advanced Base Camp and not returning to Rongbuk as planned.

Once we have more information about the challenge, we will inform through the channels of Summits of My Life.

Everest: Update expedition

Latest News – Seb Montaz is back at Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) as planned. He was with Kilian at around 7,500 metres as Kilian was continuing his ascent. Seb reports that Kilian was in good shape and weather conditions seemed good. He is now waiting for Kilian to return to Advanced Base Camp. We will post an update as soon as there is more news!


Today, May 20th, Kilian Jornet has begun his personal project of climbing the north face of Everest. The Cerdanya athlete aims to set a new benchmark for the ascent and descent of the world’s highest mountain (8,848m) without oxygen. The challenge is part of his Summits of My Life project which since 2012 has seen him to climb mountains around the world in a minimalist and pure style.

The attempt on Everest began today at 10PM local time at the Base Camp on the north face of the mountain at the ancient Rongbuk monastery (5,100m). From there Jornet will climb to the Advanced Base Camp at 6,500m and then try to reach the summit at 8,848m. In the end, Jornet has opted for the normal route for the ascent. The build-up of ice in the Norton corridor, his intended route, has forced him to opt for a safer one.

In his attempt, Jornet will not carry oxygen nor use fixed ropes and will carry the lightest material possible.  

Before he set off, Jornet said: “I feel very good physically and I seem to have done a good job of acclimatising myself. We hope the weather holds out and that we can complete the challenge which is the last of the  Summits of My Life project. It will be a long, hard day on the mountain but it will also no doubt be a wonderful experience!”

No one has attempted this particular challenge before and this will determine how long it takes Jornet to complete this difficult attempt.

The Summits of My Life channels will publish updates on the expedition.



Captura de pantalla 2017-04-25 a les 17.54.01

Kilian Jornet is ready for the great adventure of 2017. After taking part in the Mezzalama yesterday, where he finished second together with Marti Werner and Martin Anthamatten.

There was no time to relax as he boarded a plane en route to the Himalayas, where he expects to spend the next few weeks on two very different climbing projects.

First stop: Cho Oyu

During the first part of his trip Kilian Jornet will attempt to climb Cho Oyu (8,201m), the world’s sixth highest mountain. He will be accompanied by his companion Emelie Forsberg.

Jornet and Forsberg looked for a peak that would be reasonably accessible from base camp. After considering various options they chose this mountain which has a reputation as one of the least technically difficult in the Himalayan range.

According to Jornet: “It will be interesting to see how we feel as we will have to acclimatize very quickly. We’ve been preparing this expedition for weeks but we won’t know how our bodies will react until we get there. It will be an interesting experience and Emelie’s first 8,000m and I want to be there to accompany her. As for me, it will be good preparation for Everest because I’ll be better acclimatised when I get there.”

The pair will be on Cho Oyu for two weeks before Jornet prepares himself for the second part of the trip.

Everest, the remaining giant  

In mid-May Jornet will travel to Tíbet to reach the monastery at Rongbuk, at 5,000m, the starting point for the Everest expedition (8.848m). This time the team is even smaller and only the cameraman Sébastien Montaz-Rosset will accompany him. Jornet’s objective is to conquer the world’s highest mountain and complete his personal project, Summits of My Life.

Over the past six years Jornet has travelled around the world setting climbing records on the world’s most iconic mountains. He began on Mont Blanc in 2012 and since then has climbed mountains in Europe (Mont Blanc and Cervino), North America (Denali) and South America (Aconcagua). Now, to complete the project, for the second time he will attempt the ascent of Everest after having to postpone the 2016 attempt due to bad weather conditions.

The team planned to travel to the Himalayas in autumn but, unable to obtain permits, decided to bring it forward to spring, as Jornet explains: “This year will be different from 2016 as there will be more people in the base camp while last year we were alone. The reason for wanting to try it in August-September is the temperatures are a little warmer and there is less risk of freezing. In spite of everything, the knowledge we acquired last year will prove vital in this expedition.”

As they did last year, the Summits of My Life team will try to reach the summit of Everest via the north face. The north face is the least well known, as most commercial expeditions go via the south side. Jornet still doesn’t know what route he will take as it will depend on the weather conditions. The idea is to attempt it via either the Norton or the Hornbein corridors. i

During the first few days the team will establish the advanced base camp (ABC) at 6,300m. From there they will make several excursions to acclimatise and reconnoitre the terrain before heading down to the starting point. This is the basic principle of  Summits of My Life: ascending from the last inhabited place and returning to it once the summit has been reached. On this occasion the point of departure will be the Rongbuk monastery at 5,000m.

Jornet knows that on Everest the most important things to bear in mind are the altitude and the weather conditions: “There are many factors in play that will depend on how I feel at altitude and the prevailing conditions during the expedition. That’s where we will take the decisions, but knowing that we want to do it as we have always done – light and quick. There are people who think it’s madness but for me the mountain is a space where everyone should be free to do what they think they can do. I like to travel light so I can be quick. In this way, we spend less time at altitude and suffer less fatigue, although we are aware that it makes the expedition more risky. However, weighing everything up, this is the way we’ve chosen and that we will attempt again on Everest.

Kilian Jornet expects to spend a month on Everest in order to make the attempt before returning to Europe.

Our Everest, a global campaign

The expedition can be followed using the hashtag #OurEverest. The idea is to bring together the community of followers who have backed the project since the beginning and who have made the expedition to Everest possible.

Jornet says: “We began this challenge together five years ago and with our values and our approach to the mountain we’ve got to this point. Although we don’t know what will happen, I’m clear about one thing: it’s not my Everest, but ours, everyone who has in one way or another contributed to making this project a reality.”

You can find out more about the project at http://everest.summitsofmylife.com/  and on the project’s social networks on Facebook and Twitter.


Chronique de #SoMLEverest par Kilian Jornet

En août dernier, Seb Montaz Rosset, Jordi Tosas, Vivian Bruchez et moi sommes partis en expédition en Himalaya. L’objectif : essayer d’établir un nouveau record d’ascension depuis le monastère de Rongbuk jusqu’au sommet de l’Everest, en passant par la face nord, puis retour jusqu’au point de départ. Ce défi, nous n’avons pas pu le relever, mais il nous a permis d’en apprendre beaucoup sur la montagne et l’alpinisme. Quatre ans après le lancement du projet Summits of My Life, qui nous a emmenés sur les sommets du mont Blanc, de l’Elbrouz, du Cervin et de l’Aconcagua, nous gardons l’espoir de relever un jour ce défi passionnant et de gravir l’Everest.


Après plusieurs semaines de préparation en altitude dans les Alpes, nous arrivons à Katmandou le 7 août. Nous disposons d’un billet aller, mais pas de retour, même si notre objectif est d’atteindre le sommer en quatre à six semaines. Tout dépendra de notre acclimatation et des conditions que nous rencontrerons en montagne, mais nos sensations sont bonnes. Nous sommes impatients de démarrer l’aventure. L’idée initiale est de nous rendre directement à Rongbuk, puis au camp de base, mais quelques contretemps administratifs nous empêchent d’arriver au Tibet avant le 16 août.

Nous exploitons les journées précédant notre départ au Tibet pour peaufiner notre acclimatation dans le Langtang et nous en profitons, au passage, pour aller voir comment se déroulent les travaux de reconstruction de la vallée après le tremblement de terre de l’année précédente.

Nous remontons la vallée depuis Syabru Besi jusqu’à Kianjin Gompa. Nous constatons que la région commence à retrouver une certaine animation : les lodges rouvrent leurs portes et les villages les plus touchés, comme Langtang, commencent à se reconstruire après l’hiver et la mousson, en attendant que le flux de touristes, encore très faible dans cette vallée, se régularise et redevienne semblable à la période précédant le tremblement de terre. Le projet solidaire lancé avec l’ONG SOS Himalaya a permis de reconstruire quelques maisons du village de Langtang, mais il reste encore beaucoup à faire. Nous profitons également de cette semaine dans le Langtang pour monter jusqu’à 5 500 m.

Après un long voyage jusqu’au Tibet, nous arrivons enfin à Rongbuk le 19 août, là où la route s’arrête, au pied de la face nord de l’Everest. Le chemin pour arriver jusque-là a été long, mais la récompense en vaut la peine : la montagne, depuis cette face, a la silhouette parfaite d’une pyramide blanche traversée de bandes de rochers.

Nous passons deux jours à Rongbuk et nous en profitons pour gravir quelques sommets culminant à 6 500 m d’altitude. Le 22, nous montons au camp de base avancé (également appelé « ABC », pour Advanced Base Camp) avec Sitaram, le cuisinier népalais de l’agence, Namste, le kitchen boy tibétain, et 12 yaks. L’état des moraines empêchant les yaks d’arriver au camp ABC (situé à 6 500 m), c’est finalement à 5 km du camp et à 6 000 m d’altitude qu’ils s’arrêtent, altitude où nous choisissons de monter les tentes et d’installer ce qui sera notre camp pour l’expédition.


La semaine suivante, nous devons nous acclimater en altitude. Les sensations sont bonnes et, comme la météo est avec nous, avec de longues journées de soleil et de chaleur, sans vent, nous pouvons rapidement monter à 7 200 m en direction du col Nord, vers Rapiu La, et jusque 7 700 m, sur l’arête Nord. Comme nous évoluons seuls, chacun selon son rythme, nous cherchons le chemin le plus sûr entre les crevasses et les séracs. Le 29, j’atteins 7 700 m, en cherchant une ligne à gauche des séracs du col Nord. Plus précisément, sur la face NNE. Si les conditions de la face NNE sont parfaites, avec de la neige qui recouvre les chaussures et de la glace, en arrivant sur l’arête, la quantité de neige fraîche tombée pendant la mousson devient flagrante, et je dois faire la trace avec de la neige jusqu’à la taille. Je m’arrête ce jour-là à 7 700 m d’altitude. Quelle sensation incroyable de se retrouver seul sur une montagne aussi vaste ! Il y a beaucoup de neige, ce qui complique la progression, mais les conditions sont bonnes en ce qui concerne la sécurité. Il n’y a aucun risque d’avalanche et la météo est très stable.


Au bout de deux jours, le 31 août, nous décidons d’effectuer une dernière journée d’acclimatation, en cherchant à atteindre 8 000/8 200 m d’altitude. Cette fois-ci, nous (Seb, Jordi et moi) quittons le camp à 3h du matin par la moraine, et à 6h nous sommes au pied de la face NNE. Nous décidons de monter par un nouvel itinéraire sur la droite de la face, via un éperon et une goulotte situés à droite de la voix russe et permettant d’atteindre 7 900 m à droite des clochetons. La progression est bonne, les conditions de neige et de glace sont parfaites, avec des pentes à 55 degrés en moyenne et quelques pas ou traversées sur la glace. À midi, arrivés à 7 600 m d’altitude, un changement de temps imprévu se produit. Il se met à neiger fortement, avec un risque élevé d’avalanche.

Après cette tentative, nous descendons quelques jours à Rongbuk pour nous reposer et attendre le retour de la stabilité et du beau temps. Nous sommes prêts à tenter le sommet, grâce à de très bonnes sensations.

Pendant ces quelques jours, la mousson s’intensifie : le vent souffle fort et les précipitations sont constantes. Le beau temps semble arriver et, le 8 septembre, nous faisons une tentative vers le sommet avec Jordi et Seb. Nous savons que les conditions sont compliquées, mais nous voulons essayer. Nous quittons le camp à minuit. Nous arrivons à 3h au pied de la face NNE, nous passons la rimaye, mais rapidement, à 7 000 m, nous nous rendons compte que le vent a formé de grosses plaques et nous décidons de redescendre.


Nous analysons la situation et nous ne pouvons que constater que, durant ces quelques jours, la face a reçu de gros cumuls de neige et le vent a formé de nombreuses plaques, non seulement dans la face NNE mais également sur l’arête. Compte tenu de ces éléments, il nous faudrait pouvoir modifier de nombreux paramètres pour pouvoir engager une tentative vers le sommet en sécurité. Nous décidons de reporter cette ascension de l’Everest, sachant que faire une tentative rapide signifierait s’exposer à un accident. Les conditions météo ne sont pas propices. Nous devons attendre le retour du vent pour qu’il chasse la neige et attendre que la météo se stabilise pour pouvoir faire une nouvelle tentative en toute sécurité. Ce qui implique d’attendre de nouveaux permis et de renforcer la fatigue engendrée par l’attente sur la montagne.

Malgré tout, notre permis est encore valable une semaine et nous en profitons pour sillonner la région. Le 11 septembre, je me rends au Chang Tse, à 7 580 mètres d’altitude, depuis le camp. Le même jour, Seb skie le Changzheng Peak, à 6 977 mètres. Le jour suivant, je décide de monter le plus haut possible par la voie normale de l’Everest. De forts cumuls de neige sont présents jusqu’au col Nord, mais la progression est fluide. De grosses accumulations sont présentes sur l’arête et, par trois fois, des plaques se rompent et dévalent la face Nord. Toutefois, la neige est dure, ce qui permet une progression très rapide. De cette manière, je peux monter jusqu’à 7 950 mètres avant la mi-journée. C’est à partir de ce moment-là que le temps tourne et qu’il se met à neiger. Je descends rapidement en suivant les traces de montée et, à 15h, je suis arrivé au camp. Il est temps de quitter l’Everest en espérant y revenir plus tard. Le jour suivant, le 13 septembre, Vivian, Seb et moi partons à ski pour le sommet qui domine notre camp, à 6 910 mètres d’altitude, entre le Changtse et le Changzheng.

La semaine se termine et les conditions en montagne ne changent pas. La météo reste instable et le danger d’avalanche très élevé dans les parties hautes. Nous quittons le camp avec une certaine sensation de frustration, car nous sommes suffisamment acclimatés pour grimper sans prendre de risques élevés. D’un autre côté, nous sommes très satisfaits de ce que nous avons pu faire. Je suis vraiment heureux de tout ce que j’ai appris au cours de ces dernières semaines en Himalaya. Certaines choses ont fonctionné, d’autres doivent être revues. Nous avons beaucoup appris et, en ce qui me concerne, j’ai développé mes qualités d’alpiniste. Les sensations globales de cette expédition sont très positives, même si nous n’avons pas pu aller au sommet. Cette formidable expérience nous sera, sans en douter, très utile lors de notre prochaine tentative !



Kilian Jornet ajourne le rêve de conquérir l’Everest


Kilian Jornet est rentré de son expédition à l’Everest sans avoir abouti à couronner la plus haute montagne du monde. Les mauvaises conditions sur le trajet final de l’expédition ont empêché la réussite de cette tentative d’ascension de la face nord de l’Everest.

Comme il l’a expliqué: Les premières semaines nous nous sommes très bien acclimatés et les conditions étaient favorables. Pourtant, quand nous étions prêts à préparer l’ascension, le temps a commencé a changer et plusieurs chutes de neige ont laissé une forte accumulation de neige. Alors, même si nous étions physiquement bien, il y avait un risque sérieux d’avalanche et il est devenu impossible de réaliser l’ascension en toute sécurité.

Malgré l’impossibilité de mener à bien le défi, Jornet est satisfait de l’expérience. “Il reste un peu de frustration, vu qu’on était bien acclimatés et les impressions étaient plutôt bonnes, mais il était trop risqué de tenter. De toute façon, nous sommes contents parce que c’était une expérience très positive et nous avons beaucoup appris. Être seuls sur l’Everest est quelque chose d’incroyable, puisqu’il n’y avait pas d’autres expéditions. Nous rentrons chez nous maintenant pour nous récupérer et envisager la suite. Je crois qu’on va retourner et qu’on va sûrement changer certaines choses, mais on rentre avec une belle expérience et un bon apprentissage pour la prochaine fois”.

Après avoir passé trois semaines au camp de base de la face nord de l’Everest (6.000 m) à s’acclimater et se préparer pour tenter le défi de couronner la montagne la plus haute du monde, Jornet et son équipe de Summits of My Life ajourne l’ascension de l’Everest jusqu’à une prochaine campagne.

Avec ce défi, Killian Jornet voulait achever le projet de Summits of My Life, qui depuis 2012 lui a mené à battre des records d’ascension et descente de montagnes partout dans le monde.

[Prochainement, un communiqué avec tous les détails de l’expédition]


Kilian Jornet envisage pour l’été 2016 ce qui sera probablement l’un des défis les plus exigeants de Summits of My Life et de sa vie toute entière. Après avoir battu plusieurs records sur toutes les montagnes du monde, la fin de son projet personnel approche avec sa tentative d’établir le record de vitesse sur le toit du monde, à 8 848 mètres d’altitude. L’ascension de ce géant de l’Himalaya est programmée pour les mois d’août et de septembre prochains. Une fois de plus, Kilian Jornet s’apprête à relever le défi à sa façon, en choisissant de réaliser son ascension dans un esprit puriste et minimaliste.

« L’ascension de l’Everest sera sans doute l’une des plus exigeantes auxquelles je serai jamais confronté. Tout sera prétexte à l’apprentissage : comment mon corps réagira-t-il à l’altitude ? Pourrons-nous aborder la montagne comme nous avons l’habitude de le faire dans les Alpes ? Je me prépare pour cet objectif depuis de longs mois et j’ai hâte de commencer. Le projet Summits of My Life m’a toujours permis d’aller de l’avant et ce sera encore le cas cette fois-ci », expliquait Kilian.

grafisme everest_ok

Kilian Jornet souhaite gravir l’Everest en style alpin, avec la philosophie puriste et minimaliste qui le caractérise. En ce sens, et comme il l’a fait pour les autres défis de Summits of My Life, il tentera d’effectuer l’ascension d’une seule traite, sans s’arrêter dans des camps intermédiaires. C’est ce qui différencie son projet de l’alpinisme classique, avec le fait que l’acclimatation sera également envisagée sous un nouveau jour. En effet, Kilian et le reste de son équipe prévoient de passer les dernières semaines précédant leur départ en Himalaya dans les Alpes. Comme nous l’explique Jordi Tosas : « Il s’agit d’une nouvelle manière de s’acclimater. Avant de partir en Himalaya, nous aurons déjà effectué une partie de notre acclimatation en ayant passé de nombreuses journées en altitude. De sorte que lorsque nous arriverons au camp de base de l’Everest, nous n’aurons pas besoin d’y consacrer autant de journées avant de pouvoir démarrer l’ascension. »

Pour ce projet, ils ont choisi une voie peu fréquentée située sur la face nord. De la même manière que pour les autres défis de Summits of My Life, Kilian Jornet démarrera du dernier endroit habité : le monastère de Rongbuk, au Tibet. De là, il lui faudra atteindre le sommet puis revenir au point de départ. Depuis le monastère, Kilian devra parcourir 30 kilomètres avant d’arriver au camp de base avancé de la face nord, parfois appelé le camp des zombies, à 6 500 mètres d’altitude et, de là, enchaîner l’ascension jusqu’au sommet, à 8 848 mètres. En fonction des conditions, l’équipe envisagera l’ascension par le couloir Norton ou Horbein, deux options étaient possibles. Il s’agira de la première expérience au-dessus de 8 000 mètres pour Kilian : « Nous devrons être vigilants sur la façon dont notre corps réagira à l’altitude. Cette expédition sera, avant toute chose, un moyen d’apprendre, car nous savons déjà qu’il nous reste un long chemin à parcourir. La préparation constituera l’élément-clé, mais il nous faudra également de la patience pour découvrir ces hautes montagnes. »

Kilian Jornet relèvera le défi sans oxygène ni cordes fixes et avec matériel léger. Tout cela pour être sûr, comme il l’explique, de : « pouvoir [se] déplacer plus vite. En utilisant du matériel léger, nous pouvons avancer plus vite, même si nous savons que cela implique un risque plus grand. Nous sommes conscients de ce risque et nous l’assumons, car c’est de cette façon que nous aimons aller en montagne. » L’équipe ne souhaite pas envisager d’objectif de temps pour cette ascension.

L’équipe sera composée de Jordi Tosas, alpiniste et grand connaisseur de la région, et des deux cameramen et guides de montagne Sébastien Montaz-Rosset et Vivian Bruchez.

Une fois de plus, la façon dont Kilian vit et ressent la montagne constituera la clé de cette expédition, avec une équipe réduite pour un défi majuscule, le tout avec les valeurs de Summits of My Life : minimalisme, amitié et apprentissage. L’équipe quittera l’Europe le 7 août prochain et sera sur place pendant huit semaines, prête à saisir le moment propice pour l’ascension.


« Le jour du sommet, possiblement, il n’y aura personne d’autre sur l’Everest. C’est une période où il n’y a personne. En raison de la mousson, les cordes fixes seront recouvertes par la neige. L’Everest n’accorde qu’une seule chance », partageait Jordi Tosas.

Kilian sait que le sommet ne sera peut-être pas atteint : « Le fait que nous arrivions à faire le sommet dépend de nombreux facteurs : des facteurs externes, comme la météo ou les conditions, mais également des facteurs qui dépendent de nous, de notre préparation, etc. Dans tous les cas, si nous n’atteignons pas le sommet, ce ne sera pas un échec pour moi. Au contraire, ce sera un moyen d’apprendre. Je sais que, quoi qu’il arrive, nous rentrerons de l’Everest en ayant appris quelque chose. C’est la montagne qui commande et nous devons rester humbles face à elle. La montagne sera toujours là, à nous attendre, pour une prochaine occasion. »

Si le sommet de l’Everest est atteint, le projet Summits of My Life, qui a vu Kilian établir des records de vitesse au Mont Blanc, au Cervin, au McKinley et à l’Aconcagua, aura été mené à son terme.

Tous les détails de cette aventure peuvent être suivies par des canaux de médias sociaux